Wednesday 2 May 2007

Reflection on my membership of an online learning community

I have been completing an online degree at Edge Hill University, Ormskirk, England. The title of the course is Masters in "e" learning. The course has involved both tutor led and "E" learning based sessions. The "e" learning based sessions have taken place using a webCT based Virtual Learning Environment.

My initial thoughts towards the learning community where extremely positive. I had recently started the course and everything was pretty new- sure I felt confident on the Internet- but I hadn't really used it for anything more than buying some airline tickets and checking some email! I was playing a full part in discussions- I was online every day. When I published my first posting I waited to see if anyone would reply- was it worth it- what would they think. I can remember the elation when not only someone replied- but they asked questions that showed that they had actually thought about what I had said!

However, as time went on I found it increasingly difficult, due to work commitments, to get online every day- this also meant I had less time to think about postings and what I was trying to say. This was compounded by me finding I was unable to access the VLE when I had allocated time to it and this led to me approaching the postings in an increasingly asynchronous manner.

I was still trying to take part in online discussion- however, keeping a discussion thread alive when you are only accessing the VLE once a week was very difficult because conversation just doesn't happen that way.

My postings got shorter- partly because this was the only way for me to keep track about what I had said- but also because I just couldn't cope with the amount time I needed to reply to the well thought out replies I was receiving.

This was all compounded by the access problems and further issues with my account- by half way through the term I had been frozen out four times and each time I had to make a specific journey into Edge Hill to sort it out- that said the technical support where then very supportive and efficient.

Maybe my problems where down to me being an "e" immigrant rather than an "e" native, but I eventually found myself accessing my account from Edge Hill- partly because I had confidence that I would be able to access the community when I needed it- but also because having a set time and place for my learning to be completed in made it easier for me to control and adjust to. On reflection my approach was much more conventional than I anticipated.

My postings where getting less and less frequent as work commitments seemed to unerringly clash with those in college.

What does this mean for me?

Firstly, I understand why students who were used to the format became lurkers- choosing to observe discussions from the fringes rather take a more active role and contribute little and later. This meant that postings and information that came their way was much easier to manage.

Secondly, my posting will be shorter and to the point. This will minimise any misunderstandings and also means that I will be able to keep a better track of what I have written- brainstorming on a discussion board seemed to be a bridge to far for me at the moment and not necessarily a fruitful experience.

Thirdly, I will avoid the temptation of feeling that I have to read everything in detail and respond to everything- there just wasn't time in the day and also most of my comments where rushed and didn't actually mean anything- a well thought out response to a smaller number of postings is probably better than a wordy response that hasn't been considered properly.

I have found contact with my "e" tutor to be useful and reassuring. Having a place where I can email drafts of work and receive comments has been extremely useful and has been a reason I have completed the learning objectives when it would have been much easier for me to give up.

No comments: